This is my first full winter back in the Midwest since moving to Texas in 2013. While it has been very mild, I have grown accustomed to Texas winters. In Texas, if there are a few flurry in the air, the whole city shuts down. Just kidding, but sometimes. In their defense they just don’t have the proper equipment to make sure everyone is safe on the roads, ie. salt trucks. Anyway, last week we had absolutely gorgeous spring weather- near 70’s for almost the whole week! Total bummer though when it snowed this weekend. This recipe was perfect for chilly winter weather.
Chickpea soup is just so awesome. This recipe was quick and easy and perfect and tasted amazing with simple cauliflower rice. I like these kinds of soups because you can just throw in whatever you want and make it even more awesome. I adapted this recipe from Michelle Blackwood’s recipe in Healthier Steps, click here to visit Healthier Steps.
Here is my version. I hope you enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
This recipe made about 6 servings.
Ingredients in order:
- 1/4 cup of water (if you prefer, you can also use 1 tablespoon of coconut or vegetable oil).
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 2 cloves of garlic; or 1 biggie clove of garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 plum tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/4 cup zucchini (diced)
- 1 medium carrot (diced)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (although, let’s be real, you should definitely add as much as your heart desires)
- Over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 cup water or 1 tbsp of oil to a medium sauce pan. Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir in for 20-30 seconds. Don’t cook too long so you don’t burn it.
- Next, add the bell pepper, tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, chickpeas, parsley, basil and oregano.
- Add tomato paste and water or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then cover. Let simmer for 30 minutes or until thick.ened.
- Season with salt and red pepper flakes. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice (<<do this!! It is a game changer).
EAT YOUR VEGAN HEART OUT