Happy “Friday” I say it like, “Friday” because when you work every day, you don’t have “Friday’s”. But you can still be “happy”!
It has been awhile since I posted. I feel like this whole past year has been a whirlwind and so, so busy. So I am not going to bore you with the “what’s been happening in my life” paragraph that I just wrote and then deleted because I realized I’m too busy to proof read it and I have to go get ready for work! Story of my life.
I have been wanting to make mac and cheese ever since the weather started getting colder. This recipe is very simple and quite delicious! So just forget about EVERYTHING and open a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and enjoy some super creamy, delicious, vegan mac and cheese.
P.S. the proper way to eat mac and cheese is with salad supreme, recipe at following the mac and cheese recipe.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
Time: 20 minutes + overnight to soak cashews
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight *** Important step. Soak ahead of time! ***
- 16 ounces noodles of your choice, (I used veggie Rotini)
- 1 cup red potato, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoons himalayan salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp white miso paste (without bonito for vegan) (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (or sub grapeseed oil)
- Soak cashews overnight to soften them. As an alternative, boil cashews in water for about 10 minutes. Before using, drain and rinse the cashews.
- Cook noodles of choice according to the directions on the package and set aside.
- Peel and chop potatoes and carrots and cover with two inches of water. Boil for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Drain the water and set vegetables aside.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, add the boiled potatoes and carrots, rinsed cashews. Blend for two minutes.
- Add the milk, vegetable broth, salt, paprika, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and miso paste (if using).
- Blend for another 2-4 minutes until smooth.
- Add the tapioca flour 1 table spoon and a time. The more you add, the thicker the sauce will be. You can also leave this out completely if you want a thinner consistency.
- Add garlic and butter to a medium size sauce pan and cook over medium heat until the garlic begins to brown- 30-60 seconds.
- Add the cheese sauce to the sauce pan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Pour sauce over noodles and stir to complete your beautiful masterpiece.
Vegan Salad Supreme:
Makes about ¼ cup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 4 Tablespoons of vegan Parmesan cheese or you can also use nutritional yeast
Eat your beautiful vegan heart out!
#MacandCheese #Vegan #Eatyourveganheartout #minimalist